It’s no secret how much I love oats. I could probably eat them for breakfast, lunch, dinner… and dessert. I came up with the brilliant idea, though I may be biased, to upgrade classic oatmeal cookies with granola. Heavenly Hunks, which are essentially granola bites, have been one of my favorite snacks since my mom first introduced them to me. They worked really well for this recipe since they stick to the outside of the cookies well, but feel free to use your favorite brand of granola or granola bar, depending on what you have on hand.
These cookies are mildly sweet and full of flavor, just like a perfect oatmeal cookie should be. The granola on the outside adds an amazing texture with a subtle crunch outside and chewy inside. Essentially, these are your classic favorite oatmeal cookie brought to the next level. I hope you love them.
vegan, gluten-free, refined sugar free
Total Time: 30 min. Makes: 8-10 cookies
1 cups oat flour
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup almond milk
1/4 cup maple syrup
2 flax eggs (2 tbs. ground flax seed + 6 tbs. water)
2 tbs. coconut oil, softened
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. sea salt
Chocolate chips to taste
2-3 Heavenly Hunks, crumbled (sub crumbled granola/granola bar of choice)
- Combine flax seed and water and set to the side until the mixture takes on a gel-like texture.
- Combine flax eggs, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and softened coconut oil in a bowl until smooth.
- Combine oat flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and sea salt until uniform.
- Add the wet to the dry and combine with a hand mixer until uniform. Add the almond milk and continue to use the hand mixer until a sticky dough forms.
- Fold in chocolate chips until evenly distributed.
- Roll cookie dough into even balls and place on a lined cookie sheet. Crumble Heavenly Hunks granola bites or granola of choice finely with hands on a plate. Roll each cookie dough ball in the granola crumbles until completely covered. Add more granola if needed.
- Press down each cookie dough ball slightly on the cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350 for 15-18 minutes. Cool completely before enjoying!
- Optional: Melt extra chocolate chips with coconut oil and drizzle over the cookies, then sprinkle sea salt.