Before I started baking, I never knew so many “savory” foods could be used in sweet baked goods. Zucchini, chickpeas, avocado, black beans, and, my personal favorite right now, sweet potato! Sweet potatoes have their own subtle sweetness, but when I used to only pair them with tofu or salads, I missed out on the amazing taste and texture they can add to my baking.
This loaf is has the perfect texture. It is so soft, fluffy, and the right level of moist. Additionally, it’s naturally sweetened with just dates which gives it a nice, subtle flavor that I really enjoyed. And, of course, chocolate chips make everything better!
vegan, gluten-free, refined sugar free, nut-free
Total Time: 40 min. Makes: 1 loaf
1 medium sweet potato, steamed and mashed
2 cups gluten-free oat flour
1/2 cup oat milk
4 large dates, pitted and soaked
2 flax eggs (2 tbsp. ground flax seed + 6 tbsp. water)
2 tbsp. coconut oil, melted and cooled
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. sea salt
3 squares of Lily’s Sweets baking chocolate, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Soak dates in warm water until soft and gooey.
- Mix ground flax seed with water and set aside until a gel-like texture is achieved.
- In a blender, combine mashed sweet potato, dates, coconut oil, oat milk, and flax eggs until smooth.
- Add oat flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and sea salt and blend until smooth.
- Transfer to a bowl and stir through chopped baking chocolate until evenly distributed. You can sub chocolate chips/chunks of choice.
- Pour batter into parchment-lined loaf pan and top with more chocolate chunks if desired.
- Bake for 25 minutes and cool completely before enjoying.