I always have dessert after dinner, without fail. But I go through phases of what dessert I’m craving. Recently the warm weather has been getting to me and ice cream has been the only thing on my mind. However, I wanted to make a vegan treat to bring with us to the beach a few weeks ago and these cookies did the job!
I loved the flavor the chai spice adds. It reminds of Christmastime, also known as the BEST time of year. And, of course, adding chocolate chunks immediately brings any baked good to the next level. This recipe is perfect for all you chewy/soft cookie lovers out there!
vegan, gluten-free, refined sugar free, oil-free
Total Time: 25 minutes Makes: 10-12 cookies
1 1/4 cup gluten-free oat flour
2 flax eggs (2 tbsp. ground flax seed + 6 tbsp. water)
1/4 cup maple syrup
3 tbsp. almond butter
chai spice mix (1/4 tsp. cinnamon, 1/8 tsp. cloves, 1/8 tsp. allspice, 1/8 tsp. cardamom)
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1 pinch sea salt
1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
chocolate chunks to taste
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix the ground flaxseed and water together to make the flax eggs. Set to the side until it takes on a gel-like texture.
- In a blender, combine flax eggs, maple syrup, almond butter, and vanilla until smooth.
- Add oat flour, chai spice mix, baking powder, and sea salt and blend until smooth. Feel free to double the chai spice mix measurements if you want a stronger flavor.
- Transfer the batter to a bowl.
- Stir chocolate chunks through the batter until evenly distributed.
- Roll the batter into evenly sized balls and slightly press flat on a parchment-lined cookie sheet. You can create the criss-cross design on top with a fork if desired.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes. Cool completely before enjoying!