If you follow me on Instagram, you know that I eat oatmeal for breakfast pretty much every single day. It just always hits the spot! Usually, I go for the same basic combination (stovetop oats topped with diced apple and peanut butter), but every once in a while I try to spice it up.
I think I appreciated my morning oatmeal even more when eating this cozy bowl, if that’s even possible. This flavor combo is truly a taste of fall which is my favorite season that I am currently missing hard right now. For anyone who thinks they don’t like oatmeal because it’s ‘boring,’ I encourage you to give this recipe a try. It will change your mind in a matter of seconds! And even to my die-hard oatmeal lovers, I hope you try this out for a little variety!
vegan, gluten-free, refined sugar free, nut-free option
Total Time: 15 minutes Makes: 1 serving
4-5 large dates, pitted and soaked
1/4 tbsp. almond milk (or other non-dairy milk to make nut-free)
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. maca powder
1/8 tsp. sea salt
- Soak dates in warm water for about 10-15 minutes, until soft and gooey.
- Blend all ingredients for the date caramel together (in a blender or using an immersion blender) until smooth.
- Bring 1 cup of water to a boil on the stove.
- When the water boils, add 1/2 cup of rolled oats to the pot and reduce heat to low.
- Let the oats simmer for about 2 minutes while continuously stirring.
- Stir the date caramel through the oats until completely combined. If desired, you can leave a little bit of caramel to the side to top the oats at the end.
- When the oats are creamy and have absorbed all of the liquid, put in a bowl and top with cinnamon apples (dice 1 apple, sprinkle with cinnamon, and microwave for 1 minute) and other toppings of choice.