Every once in a while I tell myself that I’m going to switch up my breakfast. So… I swapped my stove top oats for baked oats… that’s good enough, right?
I’ve been meaning to try baked oats for a while but I’ve been turned off by the waiting. I’m someone who is hungry (whether that be physically or mentally) from the minute I wake up so I like breakfasts that are quick and easy in the morning.
My impatience was the inspiration for this recipe! These baked oats are ready in a fraction of the time but that doesn’t sacrifice the delicious taste or texture. This is basically apple pie for breakfast that is ready in minutes!
vegan, gluten-free, refined sugar free
1/2 cup rolled oats (gluten-free)
1/3 cup apple sauce
3 tbsp. oat milk
1 tbsp. maple syrup
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp. all spice
1/8 tsp. sea salt
1/2 apple, diced
1 tbsp. chopped walnuts
- Mix apple sauce, maple syrup, and vanilla together in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Add oats to the wet ingredients and stir to combine.
- Add in the baking powder, allspice, sea salt, and cinnamon and stir to combine.
- Stir in oat milk, then fold in the diced apple and walnuts.
- Cook the oats in the microwave for 3 minutes.
- Optional: top the oats with more diced apple and a drizzle of peanut butter before enjoying!
Keep in mind that I have not tested any substitutions so I can’t guarantee the same taste or results. Let me know if you test a substitution and it turns out well!
Swap the apple sauce for mashed banana. I would use a small banana because of the amount of apple sauce I used. Depending on the ripeness of the banana, you may need to add more liquid, too.
Swap the the oat milk for any other milk. This should not affect the taste or texture.
Swap the maple syrup for any liquid sweeteners such as honey or date syrup. This should not affect the taste or texture.