I had been craving a quesadilla on Saturday and planned to make one for dinner. I wanted to make a dip to eat with it and decided to go with good old guacamole. But then, I was scrolling through Instagram, and I saw someone trying out a tofu cream cheese recipe. Boom! Inspiration for this tofu sour cream struck.
When I told my mom I planned to make this recipe, she looked at me like I had grown two heads. The question is, when will my mom learn not to doubt my genius? This turned out so well!
The idea of sour cream made from tofu may seem a little off-putting, but I promise you it is incredible and perfectly complements the flavors of the quesadilla! Of course, you can eat the quesadilla without the sour cream but I personally think it brings the whole meal to another level.
vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, nut-free
Total Time: 25 minutes Makes: 1 serving
For the quesadilla:
2 medium sized tortillas (I used gluten-free)
1/3 of a medium sweet potato, mashed
1/2 avocado, mashed
1/4 cup baby spinach
2 small mushrooms, sliced and sautéed
3 tbsp. black beans, mashed
For the sour cream:
1/4 block tofu, squeezed and crumbled
1/2 small garlic clove, minced
1/4 lemon, juiced
3 tbsp. unsweetened oat milk
1 tsp. red wine vinegar
1/8 tsp sea salt (can add more to taste)
cracked pepper to taste
- Spread the mashed black beans on a tortilla. Add the sautéed mushrooms, then the sweet potato, then the spinach, then the avocado.
- Place the second tortilla on top of the layers. Cook in a panini press until golden brown. Use a spatula to remove from the panini press in case it doesn’t stay together right away while it is still hot. If you do not have a panini press, cooking it in a pan on the stove should work, as well.
- While the quesadilla is cooling, wrap the 1/4 block of tofu in a paper towel and squeeze until it releases some moisture and begins to crumble.
- Add the tofu to an immersion blender-safe container.
- Add the oat milk, lemon juice, vinegar, garlic, salt, and pepper to the container and blend with an immersion blender until combined and creamy.
- Put your sour cream in a bowl and serve with your quesadilla!